daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

So it's been a good long while, and year six of teaching is over, but I can't say that I'm very relieved. Today at least, I'm trying to kick the third quarter off right, but I'm a little ill at ease when it comes to that mix of career and school. In part this is because I've still not finished this paper on the ways in which critical social theory (no capitals, e.g. Foucault, Bourdieu, Gramsci, et al.) can inform educational research. For that, one would need an actual question or context--the exercise, without the data to frame it is just an exercise. It also doesn't help that every Latino I sent to take the Regents failed. What does that say? Sure, maybe I'm not preparing them enough for the tests, but what am I really accomplishing? Two half asses don't add up to one.

Things to think about as I do my best to build new summer habits.