daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Tuesday, July 15, 2003

So late last night a great phone call out of the blue from D, who is dropping a line before his bujii Hawaiian vacation, and who has with him at his house this cool girl, with whom I might have been before acquainted at his May rock concert, if only I hadn't been too busy staring at the fucking male performers, for she was one of the hairy-pitted slinky dancers on stage, about whom I remember little in the way of physical appearance. So D has in mind that this might be a sort of relevant introduction, and indeed it is occasioned by her mention of Marx, and D of course thinks I've actually read Marx, as opposed to just rolling around in class anger...

So in any case, after a bit, conversations had, and she is quite charming and enthusiastic, as was I, in that sort of honesty-not-needing-to-impress ("Well, to be completely honest with you, my Marxism begins and ends with class anger.") sort of way. She is saying sensible, well-informed shit. Apparently, her work is currently wrestling ("personal issues or other people?" I quip. She deadpans, "other people." This is a sense of humor I can work with), which makes me wonder if my old roommate Alric would date a wrestler. Hrm... A female one, at that... So in any case, I'm rather charmed and certainly engaged, but my Netherlands don't get the fucking memo!

Why are all the commited leftists I know (and by this, I just mean someone who can talk the talk) women? Maybe it's because they're post-fashion, whereas most fags I know simply aren't. Yeah... I do hazily remember some conversation with Joephet at some point about the Supreme Court or something gay like that, but that's not very much for the time we spent together. Maybe that's part me also. I guess it's more about the ability to talk about things, rather than actual action: Joephet has donated, after all, more of his inexplicable income to charities than I ever have.

So it goes yet again. So I dunno if it's dishonest to give it a try--I shouldn't flatter myself, after all, into thinking that she'd like Chinamen--and surely there's no harm in having another itinerant, well-educated, leftist, activist friend. But I guess this is why people come out, eh? Avoids confusions like this.