daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Sunday, October 17, 2004

So my previous posts have been lost, somehow, and I think they concerned mostly how kendo has been kicking my ass, and yet how upset I am that I will likely miss next Thursday practice because it is open school night. But this is the way it would need to be, at least sometimes. I just need to get back into the right groove and relax; Shrimp Sensei has at least been helpful, though attendance is down because it is now winter.

I meant as well to comment on how I was made to be part of the law, part of the enforcement, for the three Chinese girls who are deemed uncommunicative and lost, me translating into my own broken un-school Chinese even as the science teacher had to ask the English-teaching Korean-imperialist (who is, of course, not Korean) about the cultural norms, in which it was claimed that Red China is Confucian. And that is rather ridiculous, given that there aren't that many temples left, and Confucianism is hardly all that homogenous, from Zhu Xi to Wang Yang-ming. I don't know if I should further tolerate the imperialists who actually bother to become Orientalists. I guess some get more textual than others, is all.

Panda and Giraffe's menagerie are droll enough, though I must say that Joephet kicks all their asses hands down, even though he's surprisingly paper-cut prone. Now that we're on more of a weekend home, he's like an entire country house, without the pollen.