daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Wednesday, July 16, 2003

Crabs are good for your dick.

Some philosophical asides: Life is great as far as logic goes, I'm waking up more than I have, and I think I can make all sorts of new use-mention jokes because I have been reminded of pointers. This business--the machine-language, assembly, higher-order language business--has also made me think more in terms of linguistics, especially those aspects which line up of course with the philosophy I've been interested in, some watered down version of Wittgenstein. But I am also realizing that the sorts of in-jokes, half-asides and flexing (as the old term used to go for showing off in class, back in college) that this instructor for the Discrete course engages in is no doubt how I do teach my high schoolers and how I would teach at the college level, if that ever again presented itself. And it's fucking annoying. Mostly because you can't make technically precise jokes to an intro-level class....

I am growing out my facial hair in recognition of my current non-dating status. The same for my hair, which has grown rather unmanageably long in the back. I figure it's worth a shot, and might help me look more hard-core. For whom, I don't know.

Beyond that, today was a lazy time, with eventually a brief walk with Jet up and down Broadway--yes, I have a Chinese buddy named "Jet," withthe exuberance that only comes of jabbering in Chinese--my intonations are all different, somehow, and indeed my personality. Dealing with bilinguals is like dealing with two people, really.

Today was also the first day in quite some time that I've worn my old Florida YSP shirt, which has on the back many names, including that of one Michael Hunt (that's not a circumlocution--that's usefully-mentionally correct!). But in any case, I'm at the pizza place (pizza has again become a staple in my commuting to classes) wearing this shirt, which in standard math/science camp fashion has an odd agglomeration of things: Gauss' Law, a DNA helix, a Spanish fort, a Pascal syntax bit, a crab. Well, the Mexican pizza guy recognizes the crab, at least. He starts saying, "congrefos" which is evidently Spanish for crabs. In any case, after going on for a bit about how los chinos like their crabs, he starts talking about "pito". Then he starts flexing his arm and saying that crab is good for your 'pito.' Or so it appeared. Hrmm... So yes... thankfully, with the help of the Slavic counterman, I was able to figure out that crabs are good for your dick. Lobster too.