daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Sunday, August 29, 2004

So it's been a goodly run these past few days, the highlightings including a visit to Alric's neighborhood during more daylight hours--it's surprisingly bluer-collar than Astoria, and a crowded Kenka trip with Rob Chin on Friday, where I learned that Rob Chin Sr. does not actually approve of his children imbibing, which makes me wonder if that makes the ethanols he pushed upon me a matter then of me being either subhuman or subChinese. Or something like that. Rob Chin is becoming reconciled to his job, as I've pointed out to him that realistically he can't really expect to be doign anything more worthwhile with his life at this point. There's nothing wrong with switching careers every once in a while, after all, and a pungent unhappiness with your work situation is still the best goad to strugglesome change.

As far as pungency goes, I took the entire dairy thing a bit too far yesterday with a whole pizza with stinky cheeses, plus yogurt and icecream and so on: I had to pass out for several hours from the heat and the cheesemold.

Tomorrow I go to work and will meet some of my new students, and remeet my colleagues, and hopefully make a good-sized dent in this new curriculum I will be trying to implement, or whatnot. It's too early to tell, but I'm energized for once, and fully intending to go to bed within the next half hour, a world record...