daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Thursday, July 28, 2005

So it's tiring, but at least the weather has broken, which has been a great and deep relief, which means that today practice should be okay too, and that I might actually get back into the groove, though my right elbow has been hurting me ever since I ill-advisedly decided that maybe just maybe it was time to get back to lifting, but of course now I pay for it in aches at all sorts of odd angles, which do not seem to be going away, and a chest-burniness, though I should just really suck it up, I guess--more sonkyo suburi is what I need--

I'm glad to say that everything at the internship is pretty much wrapping up--I've been privy to all sorts of things that have been said in my presence as I do my best to remain inconspicuous, while the data study has only gotten more and more complicated but rewarding, though it's hard to know how to make any of this intelligible to lay people, how it translates into policy, and how sticky it is, this fact that it is the composition and structure of the school which still seems to matter so much, but of course a lot of that can just be the vestigial structures left behind by the old districts. It's hard to say--it's all just two-letter abbreviations and OSIS codes to me right now--to think that schools have names beyond numbers!

It's this sort of unintelligible crap which makes us think that there is a sizable population of blacks born in Japan, but of course that's just Jamaica, which was miscoded or misentered or mistranslated, but not miscegenated. And actually being born in Brooklyn has an effect size of -0.14: who knew?