daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Monday, August 15, 2005

So tomorrow I go back to proctor, which is pretty easy, but which does mean I'll need to get up early again. It's been a good summer, though I guess I haven't been to practice as often as I would have liked, in that I greatly look forward to going into the office and tapping away for a day, eating my lunch special lunch with bad rice and great beans, drinking all the free water and pissing like a racehorse. It's great fun, like a real job, only people, albeit the semi-literate and lazy, actually go and read what I write, which is a good feeling in its own way.

Meanwhile, I've been formulating a business plan for when my textbook is finally ready. Most of the money you pay for a textbooks goes to The Man, by which I mean Whitey. There just aren't that many publishing houses out there. Now it seems to me that the textbook market is an iron rice-bowl if I've ever seen one--you have a guaranteed audience, public funds to spend on it, and the need for new editions these days with every change of administration & standards or whatnot. Ultimately, my goal is one of dissemination: to put my book in front of as many students and teachers as possible. But I also believe that texts are meant to be interacted with--no college student worth her salt would ever leave a page un-highlighted. And of course we must constantly improve and innovate with our texts, so no text should last more than a few years or a feedback cycle. And the entire textbook-in-exercises idea of course requires this type of graphic interaction with the text means that textbooks, which a student should keep as a record of her growing understanding as well, should be more like workbooks are today. And this lowers costs substantially--it makes the books retail for closer to $4 a piece, which means you could supply the entire city for less than half a million dollars, which is a hell of a lot less than the $50 million Math A cost NYC taxpayers. So I can only hope to clear a dollar a book. Which isn't an Alric-level salary, but it'll do.