daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Thursday, August 14, 2003

So I should be headed to class, but instead I am just sitting here, on hold with AT&T. They have sent me a phone with a California phone number and a Midwest coverage brochure. And they can't change the number without it costing me $40. All this for their error. And it does no good to rage at low-paid customer service drones (sorry, Alric): they really don't know anything, are quite disposable, and at best make no impact whatsoever in the world. This is just ridiculous, this entire business. And I thought VoiceStream was bad (they charged me for two deposits, neither of which I ever got back). So it's just bad news all around. I hate capitalism. It's not clear which economic system would make this easier, but perhaps less of a profit margin would make better service possible--I really see it as a zero-sum game too often on that front. So yes: I have a useless cellphone, unless I want to pay 80 cents/minute for roaming. And I consider myself a relatively well-educated consumer. Jesus.

More later on this saga, and on my intense hatred of Asian fetishes, which is only getting worse with age. It is really is imperialistic nonsense, and I will argue this more fully eventually.