daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Thursday, May 20, 2004

So I was so busy today finishing up my thesis frantically (70 pages is a lot of hole-punching), I couldn't even do my usual multitasking hang-out thing in the lab. Still, it turned out relatively well even if I'm not completely satisfied: it is just a beginning, and I'm really grateful that I had such a great class. In general, I'm much more proud of this degree, albeit from a public school and all that jazz, than I am of my rather fancier undergrad degree: it feels more useful, somehow better earned, more urgent, and authentic. Just more real, too, and I feel more intellectually challenged and free. It's something you live in, this constant refinement of practice...

Sadly, the rumor is firmer and firmer that we are all out of jobs for next year. But I'm told that the Chinese word for risk is the same as for opportunity. But that's probably made up.

In this lull before another math final and a gay paper, I would like to lay out some goals, the way I used to every new volume--spiral notebook--of my old plog (paper-log) (erlog??)

There used to be a whole page, but this will do:

Kendo with Rob Chin
Relearn my Chinese reading
Cien anos de soledad en el idioma original
Write lesson units and plans, especially for scales-algebra and game theory.
Get back into shape generally.
Revive the love of comics, poetry, and actual creation
Dig.