daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Saturday, May 08, 2004

So today was largely aimless meandering, which is not all that fruitless, as I managed to find a new rainyday hat, which recalls most closely my brown felt cub-reporter hat of Winter/Spring 2002, which as I recall was sold to Donna, a mental hospital patient for $7--I had to charge the fair market price because I didn't want to appear condescending by way of charity...

So I made very little progress on my various enterprises today--but I figure one off-day a week isn't going to kill me, and I did after all get a few miles of walking in, across the Queensborough Bridge, and some lifting as well: it's troubling to think how despite all that I'm much more productive now than on a college weekend.

I am wondering why I haven't purchased a new fedora to replace the old green fur felt one which now has a small hole near the pinch. I dug up my new notebook for various comicky jottings and made a few scribbles, but no progress.

So it looks like in actual point of fact the high point of my weekend may well have been New York Minute with Alric. Now, of course the only reason I went was not for the Olsen twins (no Jeremy jokes, please), but because I was informed that Andy Richter would be playing the adopted white son of Chinese video pirates, with an accent likened to Mickey Rooney's. I was not disappointed, the more so by the broken Mandarin--I speak better Mandarin while drunk, goddammit, and the idea that these little white hypersexualized Electrafied imperial Midases could mysteriously have mastered incidentally to their high school lives not only Mandarin but Tai Chi is ludicrous, especially given the throwaway presumption that said video pirates are involved as well in counterfeit Gucci handbags--are we supposed to laugh at such white presumption, so that everything falls into place? Is it really that important that the daughter of a Long Island doctor get a scholarship to study at Oxford? Isn't it more useful to the whitey that one of the minority props competing for siad scholarship win as a sop to the myth that anyone can succeed? No, I really can't begin to work on the cheapness of all this--I mean, sure: it stands to reason that in a black hair salon there would be one comically gay guy, but why again are we in a black hairdresser? I think I'm just pissed because only the Chinese and their affiliates get carted off to jail.

But this is shrill and uninteresting. What is interesting is what would possess some of the single folks in the audience to show up--I would find this to be an incredibly sad milestone in my single heterosexual life, if that ever were the case, and I don't know if the guy in the front row who was very responsive throughout left with about fifteen minutes left because he saw the shlock coming or whether he already got what he came for.