daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Monday, July 05, 2004

So I have been a busy little bee, even though I'd forgotten that John's enchilada recipe requires spanish olives, which was of course key, making the finished dish, while good, not as good as back in the day. Now I've got way too much chocolate-pepper sauce for my own good, and there will be plenty of leftovers for tomorrow when it comes time to have my scrambled eggs and omelettes and so on. The pupusas were a bit too mushy to begin with, but I have a better sense now of how that dough should turn out, and by the end they were crisp and great in just the right way. I was disturbed to discover that D actually was outeaten by me, and I think that I was just a bit overzealous--that really was John's signature dish, though of course there was also the ridiculous osso bucco and so on--I just have issues with bujii Italian cuisine, and of course am picky about my rice preparation, though I suppose I am a hypocrite given my fondness for arroz con gandules. Of course, then, it's not difficult to consider the class-considerations for different cuisines, which of course is very much cultural and hard to pin down, as there is also very high-class Chinese, and even imperial Korean (which seems somehow an oxymoron).

Beyond that, it's not clear what my plan ought to be for the next cookery expedition, and I suppose I would appreciate suggestions, but the bottom line is also the healthiness, which isn't so bad when the main source of fat is the cheese.