daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Friday, October 29, 2004

So I've been having a good relationship with the elderly near-retirement queeny and proud of it (why do gay high school teachers past a certain age always feel obliged to drop such hints?) English teacher, who while more than twice my age has kept his balance and been a success beloved my students and teachers alike--but the more we become friends the more I feel the vast generational divide, which is not so much the class or the race issues, which are substantial in and of themselves, but is really I think a matter of anti-materialism and values and application, and fruitful self-deprecation. But these are not differences from me, and I guess I should try to act my age at least a little more once in a while, rather than the would-be retiree and veteran.

Last night at seminar was inspirational--I am now pushing myself to poop out a working draft of the textbook (though it doesn't look like I will be able to double-dip for it in terms of school grantwise) in the next month, ready for launch after Thanksgiving. Anyone with experience in software that makes it easier to incorporate carefully placed text and labels into regular text (TeX, perhaps?) would be excellent.

Ah, well, time for some wobbly guilt-suburi. I need to work harder.