daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Sunday, August 17, 2003

So it has been quite a few days and quite a few reasons since my last post.

That AT&T is inefficient spared me a stranding on the subway system on the way to cancelled classes. My blackout experience was unremarkable, despite some invisibly splattering soy sauce all over the kitchen. By the time I woke, early, the sun had risen and the power was back on. Three bucks if you can guess whom I called. The rest of the day I did nothing other than fall back asleep, eventually going on a 6.5 mile march to Alric's, with a pit stop at Joephet's and a field trip to Best Buy and Marshall's, which has to be one of the more dilapidated incarnations of the store, with fond memories of the old days and weekly runs with Jon and Alric to that particular shopping complex.

The weekend and the ride, despite a bujii diner and misbehavior on my part, was quite relaxing, with plenty of exploring of waterfalls and dead fish and beaches, and soakings and near drownings and the ironic failure to gesture "friends with benefits" in charades. Way too many carbs, but not much guilt; plenty of trips to the porch to phone with Joephet, who is sick, sadly, and so on. It was strange seeing that house, for the last time in the next seven years--and to think where we would all be at that point. Bessie, as always, was a great host, and I fear that I was a bit out of it, playing with digging irrigation channels in citronella candles.

Beyond that, and a ride back, surprisingly little to report, perhaps: I have gone a bit dormant for the past few days. I will resteep and write again.