daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Sunday, June 06, 2004

So I eavesdroppt today on two ethnic conversations, one on the N train between about Spring Street and Times Square, the other on the M60 bus between Astoria Blvd and 3rd Avenue. I don't usually get the chance to listen to conversations on the subway, perhaps because I'm overengaged in my own things, but mostly, as I've remarked before, mass transit is mechanical din over human silence, for the most part, and these conversations were very, well, fan-boy.

The first conversation was dominated by the one guy who was regaling, or trying to, the other with his knowledge of the intricacies of martial arts as applied to the "Hong Kong" style of making films, and its infiltration into Hollywood Cinema, in movies such as the two Charlie's Angels films and so on. Spirit of course matters much more than strength in the martial arts, or something... The new trends for the future are not very encouraging. I got the sense that someone was being hit on.

The second conversation began with a long meditation on the approprirateness of another fellow traveler's large amount of luggage, followed by speculations as to further difficulty and personal alternatives involving the SuperShuttle and accusations of niggardliness. I missed the transition, but soon the conversation turned to various judgments and recollections about the new Cartoon Network Justice League, which I am not familiar with per se, though of course they are all just rehashed stories from way back in the day. The inevitable judgments about Batman's badassness and Superman's paperthin secret identity surfaced.

I will try to harder to be more amusing in my eavesdroppable conversations, and think that I do rather well, but not as well as when Skaren Hargey is embarassing in the shit out of me and Alric on a 4 train (a 6 train would be a different story...).