daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

So I have an effective job offer on the table and now it's time to play hardball with my principal, which will include recommendations and approvals from any number of colleagues, from advisors, from the other school, and ultimately the fact that there is no way to pay for my position (which was an expansion job in the first place) within the confines of the current budget, as funds have been diverted from the middle school which has been enjoying Title I money. So with all that we'll see. With the new job at least, I could see myself teaching another three years, as opposed to just burning out pronto. I am of course willing to do the entire good-of-the-school thing, but it really comes down to the difference between plugging holes in dykes and building new bulwarks. God, I've been in this profession too long. It's been hard because kids kept on saying, "See you next year!" to me and other folks also keep asking for plans for next year, which I'm more than happy to put in place, as good stuff will always be good.

Today, being the last day for kids, was a matter of hiding out mostly from the kids and playing MarioKart for the GBA. Life is good...

I've been exhausted, though, and my new fat loss workout is not nearly as effective as shoveling for the Hargeys, and I keep on passing out. A schoolyear really is a whole lot more draining than you'd think.