daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Sunday, January 16, 2005

So I have taken to reading some Thomas Mann I found dogeared on wifey's shelf, which is my first sustained attempt since falling asleep in Buddenbrooks some years ago. It's all rather accomplished, and perhaps makes you wonder at Alrickian time-lines of glory by thirty, and very un-American, perhaps though the sort of tone I was aiming for with Jaundice, the out-of-moment narrative, outside-head stuff, the sort of thing I ought to have studied more carefully when I had more of a chance earlier. The new drive for the Spring and onward is the mercenary push for more pay via differentials. Still, if it were more convenient I would buff up on my languages, but neither Chinese nor Spanish are readily available at an appropriate level, but I suppose a different way of disposing of my summer is indeed to take more courses through the Department of Education. At $50/credit, you just can't beat it.

Meanwhile, I have been saddened by the thorough lack of decent reliably readable blogs out there--Rob Chin is inconsistent, Lostin when he is on a streak still works hard, but those are just the Asian blogs--I guess there would also be the need for more blogs in the flavor of wifey's--queerfilter and nycbloggers have turned up simply nothing to write home about.