daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Thursday, April 28, 2005

So I still remember a good chunk of my algebraic topology and my tensor calculus besides, which is reassuring in the sense that something has actually stuck with me, though I don't think Rob Chin was very amused as I tried to do this in pencil on the soft napkin at kenka--it probably didn't help that I was somewhat disparaging of his so-called eli math education. But I guess they just emphasized different branches of math, whereas I studied everything-but-analysis, and probably retain only 10% of it all.

The rest of today was consumed at the office, rereading my old aborted novel, which isn't half-bad, come to think of it, for half-a-month's effort. It's too bad that the effort I exerted there coincided with a collapsing sense of my school work. That and managing my portfolio, which really isn't big enough to require more than a fart's worth of time, but that's really just more in the proud tradition of post-Mao Chinese Communism. I've made decent enough headway on the paper, though, and regret only that I skipped kendo, especially with another shiai and then shinsa coming up. But it wouldn't be vacation without bonus Rob Chin.