daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Thursday, August 25, 2005

So I've missed a few days, and it's been a blur, with this commute to Brooklyn I've been sleeping like a baby but I just don't want to get up and schlep all the way out there even in my Diesel shirt made in Italy. But it's been good working with these old buddies, and between the textbook and the redesigned classroom practices, I really do feel like next year will be a great year, which will really make me as a teacher.

It was satisfying tonight to have scored so many men off of Sensei, though his kamae was strange and too stiff today, and he wasn't controlling the center, so I don't know what all of that means. I know I'm too new to kendo to really do anything about it, but I wonder how it can shape some of my classroom practices. It's the sort of thing also where I just need to give in and join the gym at school so that I can continue my weight-training program. It's nice also to have cut back some of my caloric intake to a mostly-chicken-curry diet with lunches which I have also tried to reduce in size. So it's some amount of progress, though of course I should get a lot more serious in general. School doesn't make for good eating habits.