daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Sunday, October 16, 2005

So there was a scary moment when a kid in do and tare collapsed during ashi-sabaki, but luckily Sensei didn't let this delay practice by more than a couple minutes.

It's been a strange coupla weeks, but now I'm glad to get into a regular stretch of time with which to work on this textbook and the other assorted things I need to really just sit down and take care of. So it's odd how these shorter weekends actually seem longer, somehow--yesterday I managed to not only shepherd a half-dozen catatonic kiddies through three hours of nothing, but at least they were not jumping off the walls. That and a long schlep with Wifey through the delights of lower Manhattan, which mostly involve jeans what cost more than the pittance I earned that morning by sitting around rearranging squares of paper. I'm just happy with how the technology side of my curriculum is going--this goal of going at least once a week has been working rather well, and it's a marvel how well the students are adjusted to that--they eat it up, even as they not-so-surreptiously surf their various friendsters/myspace/hi5 variants, and spread rumors that I myself am actually on hi5.