daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

So there are many reasons--

The taikai was rather disappointing--but still worth it--I fought a sister dojo ikkyu to a draw which the judges awarded to him and then lost nihonme to someone else in teams--it was close, though, and gives me plenty else to think about.

Today I had to get up from Wifey's and go all the way home just to vote, which would have been fine--I felt so sorry for Freddie Ferrer that I gave him my vote rather than to Marty Koppel or even Seth Blum. But unfortunately, in my rush to get to school and carrying three shinai on my back, I dropped my MetroCard, an annual, down the tracks--and so it's been frustrating.

Today's workshop worked smoothly, mostly because it was hands off.

But the best part of the day, though not the part where I sweated more than I did today in the blistering computer lab, was my return to the dojo. Although I entered very head-tired and back-of-head-hurty, by the end, I was only body-tired, not back-of-the-eyes tired, and though my streak against Sensei in ippon-shobu has ended at four, I do so want to challenge him more often.

Of couse, some of the n00bs still need to learn teh difference between hiki-waza and hickey-waza, as my kids are still sceaming out, "Hu has a hickey!" A hickey that won't heal because of how the men rubs me so.