daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Saturday, October 22, 2005

So Rob Chin informs me that there are interviewees who are former math majors who can't even state the First Isomorphism Theorem--not even for vector spaces! We went to see Proof today but somehow it managed to be sold out, which was appropriate given the company. No, really--the trailer we saw though was worth the price of admission--and I don't mean TransAmerica which looks like a grand slam, but rather the worst piece of Orientalist trash since, um, well, um, I guess The Last Samurai--as Rob succintly put it, it's like Crouching Tiger all over again.

Wifey, meanwhile, has been on the hunt for suits and quite successful. It kind of makes me want to be one of this besuited teachers for once.

Meanwhile, my insane quest, in which I am teaching two parallel classes at once is coming off rather well--all things considered. It's just hard these days for me not to feel grotesquely overqualified and underappreciated given that all of my wonderful problematic-significant-residue problems and sideways, backwards, diagonal (apologies to Cantor) entrees into standard topoi in the Curriculum are simply ignored--or else nodded-at and then ignored.