daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Tuesday, September 16, 2003

So I perhaps got on the wrong train this morning, and rode toward work with a carload of students, mostly chinky, who go to some magnet public school, and was eavesdropping on this white girl who was talking to some chinky girl about how she's read "a bazillion books" and really loves writing, indeed, she seemed to like about 7 words in particular, as those were all she needed. The chinky girl was complaining about how Greenpoint is full of Spanish people and therefore ghetto.

I hate chinks. It's hard to describe the differences in this conversation; its blandity and narrowness cannot be adequately paraphrased, as that paraphrase would add so much in terms of concision and punch. I dunno: I wonder what Tong lord my chinky students failed to pay off, or crossed to end up in my school. It's a terrible thing to say, I admit.

I lost ten dollars today, probably in the convenience store. Which got me to thinking. Not that much money, in some sense, but still, to my mind, substantial. So I'm still at that point in my life, I suppose, and I guess I have been spending too much on eating out when I could just stay at home and make simple dishes. But it's just an opportunity cost thing, I suppose, or something like that. So I guess the point is I don't often think about money, it has a very physical meaning fo rme, as bills and coins and lost tacos.