daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Monday, September 15, 2003

So I am reading Kean's blog now, and I am impressed and cowed, and I suppose now is as good a time as any to sort of comment on bloggery, to some extent. For instance, Alric's group blog with his roommates is very sort of fanboyish and externalistic even when it tried to talk about emotion. Joephet's blog was very uniquely voiced, and it's hard to explain what about it made me fall for it , him, except there is this one photo of Joyce Carol Oates in the president's office at Princeton, of Ms. Oates at some sort of talk or reading and she is in black-and-white, and holding up her hand, tilted, mannered, just-so. And that is the gestural weight of all of Joephet's writing, which seems very old and yet very wide-eyed. Other blogs I have read have been way too blurby or too self-promoting and again, externalistic. Kean's, somehow, is very honest, but does not try to pile too much on, the way that I sometimes try to, drunkenly and free-associating, the sort of cryptic and cramped style which is not very reader-friendly and requires more footnotes than not. So it's honest: I dunno: when I read a blog I want to have something somehow personal, somehow honest, somehow raw... And this is what I try to do, if by misdirection and fluorish.