daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Tuesday, November 04, 2003

So I am glad Lily is back. We have riffs now.

I'm afraid I terminally offended a classmate of mine today in writing class when she was lagging behind on the internet project I was working on, and not being very helpful, seeking out prefab lessons rather than making her own. And so I tried to secede, while giving her something else to work on. Perhaps I should have handled it better, but she spent the rest of the block solo and muttering things about me in typical bitchy manner. Sigh. Still, I don't like the idea of actually having offended another adult, rather than a student. But I just can't stand incompetence and half-assedness unless it's in the service of something else. I will post a link to the cool research we did today on tax rates. Any idea what the top bracket income tax rate was in 1944? That's what the riffs section is for!

Harumph: today's staff development was unremarkable beyond a casual Tom Cruise Maverick Top Gun joke (TOP?? ha!), and quiet giggling at the phrase "bag of tricks"

Other than that, nothing to speak of other than drudgery and eye-rolling at either the incompetence of pomposity of my colleagues, or both. No one knew what "pedantic" meant. Perhaps I should have gone with "didactic." And somehow I don't think that the opposite of teacher domination is teacher submission. But who am I to criticize, really?

So other than guilt at holding people to standards which are unreasonable, in my demand for better days, I have little to say today, other than a new boot purchase, which sadly does not match my belt. But this is a gradual process. And I guess you can't beat meeting Joephet at the Graduate Center, getting really angry at him for not being able to find him, and then having all that teeth-clenching rage sort of melt away the instant you sight his beige-sweater-blue-oxford-clad slim frame off in the library distance, which must be unique, for content-dense, fluorescent-lit expanses of private silences. Sigh. Who has all the power now?