daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Sunday, November 09, 2003

So I been negligent once more, though I am hard-pressed to come up with an excuse that is at all satisfying. There is much I still need to do, somehow. I am now in the market for a bed. Which is a frightening thing, in that I am afraid that my politics will rapidly swing bujiiward without possibility of return. So I am currently looking in the platform direction. Sigh. But this shit is expensive, though at least I'll get a better deal than Alric. Ah, well. I hafta keep in my whys and wherefores.

Beyond that, it's been an active few days--Thursdays I hung out with Rob Chin in Hell's Kitchen, drunk on Guinness and anticipation. I'd give my belt off my waist to that chink. And I did. It didn't do him much good, I'm afraid. School and classes were unremarkable, and saddening, that I would go so far to learn so little. But there is little blame to be assigned here, as I think back to contrast my level of education with that of my classmates and students. Nothing to get all hoidy-toidy about, but I think I tend to usually forget how big that gap really is. Hrmm.. Friday was yet more chilling, after a tepid third installment of the Matrix, with Rob Chin and his sis and some overblown incarnation of Asian male heterosexuality. Not very convincing. I mean, I don't need questions as to where I live barked at me. It's hard to articulate this, but Joephet agrees with me--all Asians are fags.

Ummm... yeah... yesterday I spent with Joephet. It melted or evaporated away rather quickly. This was pleasant in its own way, though I need to buckle down to finish the work I have due for tomorrow. So it's not a bad life, just a meandery one, and I need to cutback on my spending, as I am not meeting my savings goals, and I'm hardly Alric on this count.

Hrm... So yeah, I been sorely short of lots of things, but I am rebalancing now, and a few hundred dollars later my home will be more complete.

What have I been reading? Becoming a Man, some James Baldwin, a bit of Mike Rose's educational memoir, Catcher in the Rye again, for the first time after college and prep-school types, I think, some nonfic books on math as well as a touch of sociology, assorted new comics, and the usual left-press internet raggery. I will hafta revisit Lone Wolf and Cub before long. Just set aside a month for it all.