daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Saturday, December 20, 2003

So I've not been a very good blogger, but now I'm clearlyhomefree, even though I had to endure my kids asserting vehemently that P. Diddy has done things to make Harlem what it is today. Apparently he gives money to charity. Which would probably tbe the same money he takes from the community after paying Hondurans nothing to make his lines of clothing and music. You can't spell "insipidity" without "P. Diddy," after all.

Today was thoroughly pleasant after lunchtime, because I just didn't let my kids get to me. Amazing how simple the rest of your day becomes once you do that. After a tour of the Harlem Museum, with my kids complaining all the way there that they didn't want to walk around their hood with a Chinaman looking like a freak, wearing a commissar hat ("what's a commissar?") and two scarves, and little else--of course, at the same time, it's kind of frightening to pop up in everyone's semantic network when it comes to "China." I ran off, and despite some confusion, ended up eating a light dinner (Anago! Mini Don!) with Rob Chin, who has gotten an offer from Goldman, and whom I hope will work there next year, as I can always use more Chins (though not more chins...). I barely felt the large Asahi, and the sober-up coffee. Rob Chin was so happy it was great. Sigh. He deserves it, and I had no marxist complaints.

Despite a bad train delay, I ended up with Joephet for the Return of the King, which was adequate, even though there was a bit too much color commentary from our audience neighbors, and not enough Orlando Bloom. Damn Elves! I don't know if I've done the entire homo-reading of the Lord of the Rings, yet, but at the risk of repeating myself, Sauron is a big evil flaming floating vagina who threatens the world of men, with his power localized in a ring, which, when put on, renders men invisible to other men (but not to Evil), while they all fight orcs (who are actually played by women in those rubber suits, strangely enough) to save men for themsleves, though the smooth Teutonic Elf-twinks do their best to help (they tend not to get along so well with the mini-bear-dwarfs). That and the fact that evil Muslim-Hindus are riding elephants of doom, in league with the junk-sailing Chinese mercenary pirates. I won't even try to figure out where all the black people are. Or the commie-nazis.

So now I'm back home with my Joephet in tow, having munched on late-night potsticking veggie dumplings. It's a beautiful life, to have a boy waiting for you. And this weekend is shopping time! I want to make paper lanterns! But, I also need some sundries from Chinatown, as I plan to cook more over break, something that's been sorely missing since Alric and Jon moved out.