daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Friday, January 02, 2004

So it started out so well--two bros in the city, shopping, making fun of white people and the parents, finding matching sneakers and other nice bargains on clothes, consuming sticky rice and various styles of steamed shrimp, the gay brother checking out the guys checking out the straight brother in the village, giving warnings about Chelsea that weren't quite gotten, and so on--and then my wallet, my fancy Joephet-given Kenneth Cole wallet goes missing and of a sudden the whole tone changes. Not real dread, but just sad. Ah, well. As Joephet points out, though, it's all replaceable, and it's probably not a bad thing to be supercheap as the new year starts.

Errol got some tonight--as my bro and I were coming home, I saw Errol scurrying out in the way he does only when he's meeting up with some guy. So I rushed my brother out, and we only ran into Errol and his beau on the backsteps, and nothing was given away.

Yesterday I ambled and rambled with Kean, who was temporarily locked out of his friends', all over Manhattan, though I suspect he wasn't quite having a great time, but there was little I can do for him--New Years' Day just isn't an open sort of day, while Kenneth was rather busy with his friends, neither of them terribly attractive, I'm afraid. It was sad to have to let Kean go--New York is tough to visit unless you have lots of capital and time. I hope things go well for him upon his homecoming.

Oh, yes. It seems more and more likely that my parents are going to Red China. This would be strange, but liberating, in some ways...