daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

So they were actually working today, this last day for two of my classes, which was odd--just 120 minutes to go!

Tonight's practice was disappointing, as I had no forward momentum, lost ippon-shobu to the other mu-kyu student whom I somewhat resent, and while my kiai was strong, I simply felt off and was told I was raving like a berserker, not a composed kenshi like I ought to have been. Shrimp Sensei has gotten soft, though, insofar as the a/c was actually on today.

At the Vietnamese restaurant where I've gotten accustomed to the shrimp-peanut-greenpapaya salad, a summer roll, a sandwich, and pork for Wifey, the banter with the cashier was:

Cashier: You never cook, do you?
Me: Look at the time. Who has time?
Cashier: Yes. Single....

I didn't correct him, except when he over-credit-carded me by $2, which I got refunded in cash. Ah, the Vietnamese.