daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Monday, September 29, 2003

Asianboi roundup

So I have decided to do a roundup of how all the Asianbois in my life are doing, in a periodic State-of-the-Race report. I suppose this will be on the 29th of each month from now on.

The following is alphabetic by pseudonym:

Alric continues to be lonely, and the paragon of inertness. He is Argon, if any element. This inertness is moral, spiritual, intellectual. Which is not a bad thing, necessarily. Resting is important. Bearings too. He'd do well if only he did more... Perfectionism is antithetical to progress. And I exaggerate, if only because he has tendencies I see in myself which I abhor. His mythological creature is Proteus, or probably more like Zelig.

Joephet is finding his feet. He really is more attractive when active: he's settling happily into his Law School niche, which while perhaps a bit too buffoonish in my view, is probably better than I give him credit for, due to my own envy: I really do love the bugger, just not in the scary, possessive way.

Kean is stranded. He has a good heart and deserves better than being stranded in the morass of Midwest morality: I feel as if the danger he runs is the same as that of the Chinese empires: stagnation. This is what happens when a chinaboi becomes too corn-fed.

Kenneth is avaricious. This is not a bad thing, I suppose, and his worries are very in the moment, rather than existential. But I guess I get the sense from him that there is something more... that he's not saying. So even though by outward apparenances he is being imperialized by a 30-something, I'd say in this case it's more the other way around than you'd think.

Lostin is bitter. He's also somehow isolated, a true Asian, somehow, which might just mean he dies first when the Great War comes. Like Paulie in some ways, it's rough being Korean in this country. I think he more fully realizes the futility of Asian-Am pursuits, without being able to offer a remedy. I see a lot of similarities with my worldview back in freshman year, but I am too manic to let the abhorrability of others keep me down.

Rob Chin is aging. He's soon to graduate, and wants for a direction in life. Not unlike me at that stage, though he's a different person--much shyer, much less full-fleshed and arrogant. Which may serve him well. He's meek.

Me, I'm lazy. But headed somewhere, of course. Where, it doesn't matter. Just as long as whitey gets fucked.