daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Sunday, September 28, 2003

My misogyny

So it occurs to me that it is important to outline this, that we might spare ourselves further confusion, misunderstanding, bruised feelings, and so on. I am in some sense a misogynist. I am a misogynist in the feminist sense. I hate girly-girls, and my undue and disproportionate association with this type in my early years has, I think, led me toward misogynistic tendencies that are indeed ill-founded and undeserved, or perhaps merely misunderstood.

I hate girly-girls, with their hair and their clothes and their shoes and their purses and their accessories, this cosmetic materialism and an inner-life turned outward, externalized and quantified to the point of market value, or what passes for it, the nonsense of designer handbags and knock-offs, the guy-like competitive strutting, the helpless and dependent foot-bound woman, the Elvira of Scarface. Insincerity is unacceptable. I can't be bothered with others' opinions of me. I don't care about how I look, beyond basic fabulousness and maybe some apricot scrub.

Which is not to say all women are this way. Miss Fegs is a woman. In that she doesn't buy into that soft bullshit. Which isn't to say that she's not a great nurturing mom--she is--the point is she's not a girly girl, and that's what is bred, and marketed, and trumpeted, and what the hetero-ideal is, which is probably why I'm such a bugger--I just couldn't stand to be reduced to dependence on such an already conquered ideal as the hair-flipping blonde-type.

I know plenty of strong women--these are the ones who are my friends, it is almost a tacit precondition: Jen, Bessie, Anna, Lucy, Miss Fegs, some of the girls in my ed class, and the list goes on. So it's not women I hate, it's the weakening, sickening qualities our patriarchal, capitalistic, predatory civilization builds into them that I hate.

Sigh... this was much more coherent on my first go,w hich was before my whiskey-and-cigarette last night... now it's jointed