daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Tuesday, September 23, 2003

So I am staked out at the CUNY GC trying desperately to find scholarly articles from which to spin a polemical account of confusions around symbolic representations in "school algebra." It's been a rough day. It was Parent-Teacher night, and two parents out of 107 students' worth showed up. Well, the mom of one of my students died, so I guess that's an excuse.... How can I deal with that situation, having never died myself? Well, you know what I mean... Today was a bit placid, probably because my fag student and his coterie did not show. But certain kids still have to be whipped into shape. I don't know what to do--I just know I have a long way to go before effective classroom management. ("Do you have management issues?" "Yes... My issues are the students."; "These students have issues"--"Yes! They have a subscription!")

But no, it's just Icarus falling, 'cept I gots a parachute.

Things have been a little rocky with Joephet, and I think that's because my last two conversations with him framed my sleep last night, and they were more along the tack of unavailability. But I am just being over-demanding, I realize. School's started. I should be nicer. He deserves that much, at least.

But this research has gotten me excited--through all of college, I never had to do anything like this. It's fun.

Hrmmm. So yeah... other than not being able to find books and getting too deep into CogSci, I am pretty happy. Just not thinking about how it's only Tuesday.