daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Wednesday, September 17, 2003

So I am getting the sense that I am wasting my fucking life here. Well, at least at these education classes where the fucking incompetences (yes, they are plural and so on) are shocking, really. I mean, these are people impossible to work with in groups. And not that I'm not exceedingly patient with students in my classroom (well, maybe I could be more so): but I am supposed to be dealing with professionals here, and it's just shocking the lack of basic organizational skills: it's not that fucking hard to make a table.

And I am tired of post-Soviet Russians who are not good at collective work inveighing against computation without calculators, as if remembering the rule that two negatives make a positive ("I'm ugly and I'm smelly. How is that good?") is somehow actually understanding as opposed to punching it in the calculator correctly, which is already a minor triumph. (Hrmm... that was kinda a longish sentence...)

No, what we need to fix things is a massive revolution. I shudder at what I see from other teachers, my Caribbean Tracy Morgan colleague openly napping at his desk this afternoon--even I have the decency when necessary to pull my desk out of sight from outside. It's just common sense, really. It's really disturbing, but I suppose it's ok that even the kids at St. Ann's aren't exactly getting a topnotch education. Or Collegiate. Fuck whitey slowly, and incompetently. Cuz someone has to.

I miss Joephet. I admit it. Sigh... It's nice to not hafta position yourself in terms of someone, vie for power, all that jazz. It's nice just to be. Sigh.

I suppose it doesn't help that I'm here waiting for it to turn 9 so I can use my cellphone to make a slew of phone calls home. It all makes more sense than the train ride home, I guess. And I get to see Kenneth tomorrow, and perhaps Miss Fegs this weekend. That, at least, is the hope and the plan.