daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Wednesday, November 12, 2003

So today in writing class a group was presenting all about this book that is popular reading in the schools, Monster, by Walter Dean Myers. It's about a teenager (adolescent) who gets into trouble being involved in a second-degree murder during a robbery ("Felony murder!" Joephet would chime in, if he could, feverish little hottie), and is thrown around the jail system... Well, so the white and Persian(?) presenters try to sum up the book, but of course fail to mention the kid is black. Which is pretty fucking relevant, in terms of teaching our kids as well as the entire fucking prison-industrial complex. My Marxism is becoming more and more focused on the racism of the system, I'm afraid. But that's probably the point. Sigh. So where is it we're teaching again? But I guess I'm just hunkered down in my own siege mentality, given my two schools so far in this career-thing of mine. That is to say, there are other schools where there are different ethnic groups, which can war with each other. Sigh.

Life is good--home stretch on some things soon. I wish Joephet were healthier, though. Sigh. I'm just powerless.