daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Monday, March 01, 2004

So I am repeatedly impressed by how racist, classist, reactionary, paternalistic, and downright Malthusian my college classmates are. It's hard to quantify, it's hard to pin down, and Joephet attributes it just to jadedness after teaching in urban settings, but I think it goes deeper to some sort of reflexive bujii entitlement and condescension. This self-righteousness is deep and offensive, reducing we fags who chose not to ham it up or wear our colors on the outside into these fissed queens, as a justification for the need for black kids to learn dual languages (with one more appropriate, authoritative), rather than actually questioning the power relations which move these bifurcations. Aside from inborn ethos and the inevitable blinding egalitarian pathos, I see very little admirable in the ideologies of my classmates: we are united by suffering mostly.

I suppose I have also failed to realize how white a profession I've entered, as I've worked mostly in contexts more minority-dominated, though that's no indicator of leftism, as there's plenty of Anglo-Caribbean conservatism.

I've taken up reading economics again, and plan on sharing my choice tidbits, as my Marxism has always been lacking in the empirical. But of course, it's not just my faggotry that makes me prefer the a posteriori.