daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Sunday, March 21, 2004

So yesterday was a pleasant jaunt into the East Village, enthusiastically chatting schools and school reform with the younger freshman sister of an old math camp buddy of mine--I don't remember ever being that idealistic or organized, as back in the day I was more conservative and Randist, in part as a reaction to the perceived intellectual weakness of my classmates, but mostly because of the shrill classed-out white "liberalism" of a particular nemesess of mine back my firstyear in college... But it's rare to have those grander structural conversations, as teachers are of course pragmatists by demand, and molelike in their need to focus in on the daily grind. Of course, I say this as I'm more panicked about my own research project than the larger shape and arc of things beyond...

Beyond that, I also managed to eat with Kenneth, after having gotten a glimpse at his man du jour, though of course that's more of a meet-for-coffee thing rather than a relationship, but that's necessarily a bad thing... And that was loud noisy new Japanese place banter and plannery, and mostly my amusement that the group of whitey that waited an hour for a table at this new supermarket-doored restaurant finally settled in to order shouchu and fried rice, which then took an hour to consume... Such a white thing. It's hard to imagine how I ever could have imagined dating one of them.