daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

So somedays you feel like you're phoning it in, just attacking for the sake of attacking, not really controlling center, no seme to really speak of, and rudely (at least some would say) knocking down your opponent's shinai without even performing a real hiki-waza, or elsewise tapping a hiki-kote for contact only zanshin-less, kiai-less, fumikomi-less. And yet, you get decent reviews--as if it's okay, and as if you're getting stronger.

Also, the more you think about kote-nuki-men, the harder it is to do. It feels good, even if it's unhelpful, to hit straight delayed sashi-men but still score against newer beginners who hit men which are too big. I realize I should be a better sempai, but sometimes it feels like I'm too ynew to be giving any real advice. Better to just do good straight kendo. Or something.

With the semester winding down, my motivation has completely tanked. I can't even bring myself to finish writing this personal statement I'm supposed to have been working on the past few weeks. Thankfully I got the GRE out of the way with time to spare. Unfortunately, there are still the PRAXIS tests, the ATS-P, and my annual review to worry about. But all considered, that's not all that bad...

Two more days, and I can rest easy again.