daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Thursday, October 02, 2003

So I got home a while ago and have been chilling out, chatting with my bro and with Rob Chin, and I'm just impressed by how much older I am. Which isn't to say that you can see my floors half the time, or that I am not buried by papers, but I've got more poise than before when under severe deadlines, and I handle things better--I may yell myself hoarse as I did today, but I move on, suck down a quick cigarette and I'm OK--I couldn't handle myself this way last year, and looking at Amenina who's new this year to the teaching thing, I am reminded of all that suffering. Still, it's worth it. I'm reminded of that in little ways. I just have to resist the urge to be a sanctimonious, self-righteous prig. And the urge to have a second cigarette--I haven't earned it, and besides, I have quit for the most part.

I have been newly ambitious about capital improvements to my classroom. This is exciting--it's better than an office in some ways--I just have to make it so.

My farts are supersmelly.

That was a Joephet-quality comment, I know.. But what have I been eating??