daily specials:
drew's tasting menu:
appetizer: unflaming, whiskey-soaked inari
soup: whipped rice congee
entree: seared duck breast (from a young, but fed-up bird)
dessert: fresh asian fruit salad with bitter melon-lemon dressing

Tuesday, February 17, 2004

So this is unacceptable: today on Jeopardy! (the teen edition, where an entire category was devoted to WB pseudo-dramas (actually, white-bujii-pseudo-dramas, which of course is probably revenge on the nerdy teens)) there was the following answer, which I paraphrase from necessity:
The Americas' only communist country, it doesn't have a ;-) next to its liberties and civil rights section of its constitution.


Now this is not to say that Castro has had a great human rights record, but that's just a cheap shot. It's sad, how as I've grown older it just seems dumber and dumber--and I swear that there are problems with the buzzers. But that's probably just the geeky quiz bowl experience talking (I was damn good)...

Other than that, today was mall-browsing with Joephet after a buffet lunch at a Filipino restaurant in Woodside. Any place that has unlimited drinks that come from pitchers is my speed, with shades of Java's Grill back in Columbus, which has since apparently closed. We failed to buy much of note beyond bamboo knitting needles and enough St. Ives to last us, well, maybe a week.

I've been reacquainting myself with the lit theory I dabbled with junior year, but should turn back to the math I'm now responsible for, as well as some more social-science-oriented stuff. I'm becoming exactly the sort of person we used to deride at math camp, though of course that's no real measure of anything.

Oh, yes. Lostin might well be coming to town later this week, which is rather exciting, especially since he and I have never actually hung out in person since we started talking to each other on a nontrivial and regular basis. It's so... internet. and gay. But he's not.

Little else to report beyond growing restlessness and a sense that I should be doing something with my freedom.

Last note: you know you're a little wacko when you're having a conversation with your sympathetic school friends about "bujii" and they don't buy your yoga-mat-sleeping, handsoap-abstaining, $1.75-wifebeater-wearing brand of angry jaundiced asceticism. It could be worse. I could be South Korea.